A timely reminder to skin test…
This is not an exciting news article, however, it is of the utmost importance!
One of our clients recently suffered an allergic reaction to her skin test and we would like to show people what this looks like. We will not be able to carry out a colour service on anyone that isn’t tested at least 48 hours beforehand.
This lovely client did not react until 48 hours after the test – which, although incredibly rare, shows that you do need that amount of time to pass before you can safely say it is safe to colour.
There can be no exceptions to this, along with our rule of not colouring anyone’s hair under the age of 16. This is because they are more likely to have a reaction to colour later on in life if they start colouring their hair at a young age.
There are many reasons why some clients can be allergic to colour but did you know? If you have had a tattoo in the 6 months leading up to a hair colour, this can give you an adverse reaction to colour in the future.
Another reason can be using home products and then coming to the salon and having a professional colour. This is because the formulas are different and home colourants can contain metallic salts which will react to some hair dyes. This can result in the hair literally burning off. A compatibility test must always be carried out if there are any doubts.
There are a few contraindications to the colouring process. If any of these are present, a skin test must be performed, or in some cases, the colour should be postponed or forbidden.
- Are you under 16? Wait until you’re over 16 and a skin test has been carried out.
- Have you had a tattoo or henna on the skin in the last 6 months? We cannot carry out the colour service until more time has passed.
- Have you reacted to colour before? A skin test must be carried out, however, it’s unlikely we would colour in these circumstances, although an alternative may be offered if appropriate.
- Is it the first time you have had a colour? A skin test must be carried out.
- Are you changing your colour? A skin test must be carried out.
- Have you been colouring your hair previously with no adverse reaction but it is the first time you have visited the salon? A skin test must be carried out.
This is not an exhaustive list.
A skin test must be carried out regularly even if there have never been any adverse reactions. We skin test for hi-lights or lightening services as a matter of course as you may need a toner afterwards.
We are more than happy to answer any questions you may have on this subject, it is always better to be safe than sorry!
We have had some issues with our online booking recently and decided to upgrade to a whole new system! We are delighted with the results and are happy to announce that we are now live again
We thank you all for your patience and loyalty!